This week I pieced together a good template from the remains of the original bulkhead, some tabbing that I cut from the hull sides and approximate measurements in undefined areas. I used some inexpensive OSB that I will re-purpose later, the actual bulkhead is going to be 3/4″ Okume, Lloyd’s of London “certified” marine plywood. The Okume is ordered and should be delivered tomorrow.
The dimensions I chose to split the bulkhead into are approximately 20″ and 36″ wide, total width 56″, max height 82″. I was glad that after I cut the two template pieces that the larger piece at 36″ wide fit through the companionway easily.
Using the template I’ll cut the Okume to size. I’m going to use a 1″ lap joint in the groove and 1/2″ of foam along the hull side so that the new bulkhead, like the original, won’t be edge bonded or create a hard line on the hull.